Thursday, December 31, 2009

Introducing THE REAL Ronin Briley Roscoe

Funny story - I had my doctors appointment Tuesday at 4:15. In case you don't live in Portland, there was a FREAK snow storm that accumalated quickly and turned the city into crap. So I go to the doctor, and I'm dialated to a 4. Whatever, I was a 3 the week before. It's not a 6, I'm not contracting too much, and he hasn't dropped. Well, my doctor isn't comfortable with the 4 or the snow, then she decides to do a quick ultrasound. The bump I was thinking was Ronin's butt was actually his head. Oh ... so breach ... fine. Well, with breach babies you don't really want the water to break because butts and feet don't make good plugs like heads. There's a chance of feet or umbillical cords coming out, which is bad. And which my doctor didn't like with 4 cm's, snow storms, and the quick delivery of Ivan. So she tells me to call B and both of us meet her at the hospital. We'll try to get the baby to flip. It took me an hour and a half to get 60 blocks down Glisan. It took B almost 2 hours to get to the hospital from home. And thankfully Ivan was able to stay with Launa at daycare. So then Dr. Levin's is unable to try to flip the baby because she had to take one of her sons to the ER at the same hospital we were meeting at. So another doctor from her office attempted the flip. It's interesting. They give you a shot of stuff that loosens the uterus, yet also makes you jittery. I was already shaking from the nervousness and excitement, AND!!! Somehow ... some time ... I had started having some good contractions about every 5 minutes. Guess what DOESN'T help when trying to flip a baby. YUP! Contractions. But the doctor tried 3 times, and Ronin wouldn't even budge. NOTHING!!! And there was room. So it was decided to do a C-section. I've had my one drug free birth, I know what it's like, so why not. Yes, the stories have freaked me out. The thought of having to heel from a C-section is scary. But what else can I do? I've got to tell you, it's not a bad thing at all. They gave me a spinal, which only really burned. Then I went numb from boobs to toes, it was nice. I could have taken a nap. They layed me down, put up the curtain, and the next thing I know, a whole whopping 4 minutes later, Ronin was out. (Not the 15 minutes they tell you in birthing class.) And I felt only the tug when his head came out. Then as I watched the nurses with Ronin, my doctor quickly sewed me up. It was only about 20 minutes. It was great. It was bad being stuck on my back for 6 hours before being able to stand. Then stuck another 6 hours until I could get up to go potty. But besides a little tug and soreness from the wound, it doesn't burn when I potty, and I'm not bleeding as bad. I actually feel better than after I had Ivan, and I got off the Oxy yesterday at noon, and I got to come home today!!! YAY!!! Because of the H1N1, I couldn't see Ivan for 2 1/2 days, which bummed me out. But thanks go out to Launa, Oly, Sherri, Jenny and John for all your help with Ivan. We really appreciate it.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!! I am so happy for you guys... what a crazy story! :) Ivan looks like a very happy and proud big brother!